Résumé - Owen Cliffe
- Agile Solution Architect PayPoint.net [Nov 2013-]
- Supported product, operations and development teams in shaping and delivering complex, financial and security sensitive projects
- Evaluation, analysis and sizing of roadmap IT and product development projects
- Lead Java Developer PayPoint.net [June 2012-Nov 2013]
- Senior developer, then technical lead and architect on a large-scale platform renewal project.
- Trained and integrated a near-shore team as ongoing participants of the agile project
- Completed project evaluations, solution defitions, planning, high-level estimation and team handover on numerous projects
- Senior Java Developer PayPoint.net [Nov 2010-June 2012]
- Senior developer and team-lead on numerous Java and PHP projects for an agile, growing payments company.
- Technical lead on a large, legacy Java codebase with contributions including refactoring for testability and adding regression testing allowing monthly ongoing maintenance releases.
- Integrated two downstream bank acquiring systems into company platforms (ISO8583)
- Line management, scrum master (CSM)
- Research Officer, ALIVE Project Department of Computer Science - University of
Bath [May 2008 - Oct. 2010]
- Researcher/Developer on EU-funded project studying model-driven
approaches to building software for service-oriented
- Work included research and development extending existing state of the art industrial tools
and technologies (Eclipse, J2EE,
JMS) with web semantics, normative modeling, autonomic management and
- Developed Eclipse plugins as part of a large RCP application for service integration and system design,
incorporating modeling tools
(GMF, EMF) and semantic service description and management tools
(Based on JAX-WS/JAX-RS)
for existing platforms (including Apache CXF, Spring, AXIS2, GlassFish)
- Managed day-to-day activities of a small team (2-4 developers) over
the course of the project where I was involved in SCRUM, and TDD/CI both locally and as part of the
- Developer & Systems and Networks
Administrator Computer Services -
University of Bath [August 2006 - May 2008]
developer on business-critical network management (DNS, DHCP & SNMP)
and auditing tool, developed with J2EE, Spring (inc MVC, Web Flow and
spring security), JTA, Hibernate, GWT with integration components in
- Design, implementation and deployment of
university-wide identity and access (both network and physical)
management policy and tools, including building user management tools
(Spring , MVC) and university-wide web single sign-on.
- Part of the team responsible for managing, developing and
supporting the core network of the University. As well as day-to-day
administration major projects included overseeing the deployment of a
campus-wide security camera system and a systems and network security
- Research Officer, @lis-technet project Department of Computer Science - University of
Bath [October 2004 - July 2006]
- Research officer on
- Developer of tools and infrastructure
for large-scale agent networks (Java) and tourism demonstrator based
on those tools.
Administrator (P/T) Department of
Computer Science - University of Bath [January 2004 - September
- Administrative assistant on EPSRC-funded AgentcitiesUK.net project.
- Organized two national workshops on the applications of agent
technology to Healthcare and
electronic government respectively.
- Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (P/T) Department of Computer Science - University of
Bath [October 2001 - January 2004]
- Tutoring and lab assistance for several undergraduate courses,
comprising tutorial preparation,
coursework design and occasional lecturing.
- Software Engineer/Systems Administrator EduServ, ATHENS division [June 2000 - September 2001 (FT) October 2001 - December 2002 (PT)]
Maintainer of and then lead developer of the Athens access management
system for higher-education research material (principally Solaris/Linux C++ with
integration components written for ISAPI, AcriveX, perl, php and
- Project leader replacement platform (Java). Oversaw a small team responsible for the ongoing development of the
AthensDA (distributed authentication) replacement system in
- Secondary responsibilities included community liaison and assisting
the administration and maintenance of service machines (Solaris/Linux) and underlying
- Software Developer/CGI and
Database Programmer (P/T) Cambro Ltd. [1997 - 2000]
- Developed networked desktop news distribution system for the windows platform in C++.
- Programmer on numerous ASP based sites.
- Developer/System Programmer Southampton Students Union [December 1999 - June 2000]
- Designed and implemented Students Union room and bus booking system, written in Perl using Apache and MySQL
- Software Development (Summer Placement)
British Telecommunications Plc [July 1998 - September 1998]
- Developed BT Business Division online knowledge library using ASP, Access and MSSQL
Developer/Partner Quality Genius Software [1996 - 1999]
- Partner in a small company. Developed and marketted software
tool for quality self assessment using the European Foundation for
Quality Management (EFQM) self assessment framework..
Development placementsStudent Placements (2 weeks each)
- Software Development ISDE Ltd. Camberley, Surrey [7/1997,3/1998]
- Multi-media development - Univ. Central Lancashire [4/1994]
- Various short-term business-oriented technical (i.e. problem solving) consultancy
positions, details where available on request.
Ph.D Computer Science
University of Bath
[October 2001 - September 2006]
Attendee 4th & 5th European Agent Systems Summer School
[July 2002,July 2003]
- Summer School for Multi-Agent Systems
B.Sc. Computer Science, 1st Class Hons.
University Of Southampton [September 1997 - June 2000]
- Winner 1999 Schlumberger Software Engineering Design Award
- Final year project: Symbolic model checking of concurrent
Java programs available here:http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/~occ/jeck/
- Attendee BRICS Institute, Aarhus Denmark [July 1998]
- Cryptography Summer School
- Student Solihull Sixth Form [September 1995 - June 1997]
- A levels: Computing (A), Maths
(B), Physics (C)
- A/S levels: Further Maths (C), Russian (D)
- Student Arden School, Knowle [1992 - 1995]
A list of my publications is held here: http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/~occ/
Open source contributions
I have contributed various bug fixes/patches to OS projects including
several Gnome projects, Analog and Apache
. I was one of the initiators of the GPE
project (along with Nils
Faerber), an early attempt to produce a useable (Gnome-based) GUI
stack for PDAs (primarily the Compaq iPaq). I mostly focused on the
common underlying data framework based on SQLite.
- Amateur robotics
- Hacking/fixing/tinkering/problem solving (in general) .
- Cycling: I try and get out on
my bike as much as possible. Other related habits include
occasionally wearing lycra, swearing profusely at cars, rain, pot
holes flat tyres etc.
- Knitting: I have a brown belt in defensive knitting.
- Online society, law, politics.
- Playing the bongos (badly, but with spirit)
- Playing the Guitar (better, and significantly more quietly)
- Real ale appreciation
- Playing Poker, Backgammon, Go.
Available on demand as required.
Owen Cliffe zoot (at) zoot.org.uk
Last Modified: Tuesday, 02-Sep-2014 19:20:17 UTC